So you’re looking to clean out your closet fast. It may not be a surprise, but the internet is home to some of the easiest methods for saying goodbye to your gently used garb. Whether you’re downsizing or just want to make room for a new wardrobe, here we share the top ideas for how to sell secondhand clothing online fast.
Discussed in this article in no particular order:
- Online marketplaces
- Social media platforms
- Online consignment shops
- Local online classifieds
Global platforms like eBay, Poshmark, and Depop allow users to create an account to quickly sell their used clothing. These online marketplaces have a large user base, so you can reach a wide audience quickly. Using an online marketplace has grown to be the most popular method for selling secondhand clothing. With an estimated 272 million individuals buying or selling secondhand clothing in 2022 in the United States alone, you’re bound to find a buyer fast.
Planning on making online clothes selling a regular gig? Check out our recommended app that helps sellers quickly measure garments without a measure tape. It also creates helpful sizing charts.
Benefits to selling second hand clothing through an online marketplace
- Access to a large customer base: Selling on an online marketplace allows you to reach a large customer base that may not be accessible through other methods. Many online marketplaces have millions of active users, which can significantly increase the exposure of your items and improve your chances of making a sale.
- Convenience and flexibility: Online marketplaces offer a convenient and flexible way to sell used clothing, as you can list items for sale at any time and from anywhere with an internet connection. Additionally, many online marketplaces provide tools and resources to simplify the selling process, such as shipping labels and payment processing. Looking to start on online resale business? You’ll want to become familiar with the how to be a profitable online reseller.
- Competitive pricing: Online marketplaces are typically highly competitive, which can work to your advantage as a seller. By pricing items competitively, you will attract more buyers and sell your items faster than through other methods. Additionally, online marketplaces often offer features such as bidding and best offers, which can help you maximize your profits and ensure a fair price for your items.
The Most Popular Online Marketplaces:
Depop is a social shopping app that allows users to buy and sell clothing, accessories, and other items. The app tends to have a younger demographic, with many users under the age of 25. Depop is known around the globe for its trendy, vintage and unique items.
Depop is easy to use, with a simple interface for posting items, messaging buyers, and processing payments. One unique feature of Depop is its social media integration, allowing users to follow each other and like and comment on posts. Etsy even allows users to tag items for sale in their Instagram stories.
To sell on Depop, you will need to create an account, take clear and attractive photos of your clothing items, and write a description that accurately describes the item’s condition, size, and other relevant details. Depop charges a 10% fee on each sale, and sellers are responsible for shipping their items to buyers.
Poshmark is another popular online marketplace for selling used clothing items. Unlike Depop, Poshmark focuses solely on fashion and enables users to sell clothing, shoes, and accessories. Their platform is designed for men, women, and children.
Poshmark is also easy to use, with a simple interface for posting items, messaging buyers, and processing payments. One unique feature of Poshmark is its “Posh Parties,” which are virtual events where users can buy and sell specific brands or styles of clothing. It’s definitely one of the most popular destinations when people think of how to sell secondhand clothing online fast.
To sell on Poshmark, you will need to create an account, take clear and attractive photos of your clothing items, and write a description that accurately describes the item’s condition, size, and other relevant details. Poshmark charges a flat fee of $2.95 for sales under $15 and takes a 20% commission on sales over $15. Poshmark also provides a shipping label for sellers to use, making the shipping process easier.
Etsy is a well-known website to sell clothing, especially for handmade, vintage and one-off clothing items. It is known for its unique and handmade items, so if your clothing items fit that category, it could be a great platform to sell them on. However, it’s important to note that Etsy has specific guidelines for what can be sold on their platform, so it’s best to review their policies and make sure your clothing meets their requirements.
Additionally, competition on Etsy can be high, so having high-quality photos and detailed descriptions will make your items stand out among the crowd.
If you’re interested in more popular online marketplaces, check out our top global online marketplaces.
Social Media Platforms
You may not think it, but Instagram and Facebook are additional methods for how to sell secondhand clothing online fast. Chances are you already have an account, so here are the steps you can take to sell your vintage clothes quickly using social media:
- Set up a business account: To sell clothing on Instagram and Facebook, you’ll need to set up a business account. This will allow you to access features such as analytics, advertising, and shopping tags. More on how to setup a business account on Instagram or Facebook.
- Take high-quality photos: When selling clothing online, high-quality photos are crucial to showcasing your products in the best possible way. Make sure to take well-lit photos that show the garment from multiple angles, and include any unique features or details in the description. You can also use Instagram’s built-in editing tools or other photo editing apps to enhance your images.
- Use relevant hashtags: Hashtags are an important way to reach a wider audience on Instagram and Facebook. Make sure to include relevant hashtags such as #shopmycloset or #secondhandclothing, as well as more general fashion hashtags like #outfitinspiration or #ootd.
- Engage with your followers: Building a relationship with your followers is key to growing your brand on Instagram and Facebook. Respond to comments and direct messages in a timely manner, and consider hosting giveaways or other promotions to encourage engagement.
- Utilize shopping tags: Both Instagram and Facebook offer shopping tags that allow users to purchase products directly from your feed. To use shopping tags on Instagram, you’ll need to set up a product catalog on Facebook and connect it to your Instagram business profile. On Facebook, you can set up a Shop section on your business page and add products manually or through a third-party e-commerce platform.
Online Consignment Shops
Perhaps the fastest way for how to sell secondhand clothing online fast – enter online consignment shops. Websites like ThredUp and The RealReal will buy your gently used clothing items directly from you and then sell them on their website. This is a quick and easy way to sell your clothing without having to create your own listings.
ThreadUp is one of the largest online consignment shops for clothing, with a wide selection of women’s and kids’ clothing, shoes, and accessories. Sellers can request a Clean Out Kit, which includes a prepaid shipping bag, and send in their items to be processed and listed for sale on the site. ThredUp offers competitive payouts for sellers and a convenient shopping experience for buyers.
The RealReal is a luxury consignment shop that specializes in high-end designer clothing, accessories, and home decor. Sellers can request a free consignment kit, which includes a shipping label and instructions for sending in items. The RealReal’s team of experts authenticates all items before listing them for sale, and offers competitive payouts for sellers.
Local Online Classifieds
Websites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace allow you to sell your secondhand clothing to people in your local area. This is a great option if you want to avoid shipping fees and meet buyers in person.
If you’ve never used FB Marketplace, you’re missing out. Not only is it a great place to sell, it’s also a great place to shop local. When ever we’ve used FB Marketplace, we’ve always had a quick and easy experience. Here are a few of the top reasons to sell on FB Marketplace versus other local classifieds:
- Wider audience: Facebook has over 2.8 billion active users, which means that you have a wider audience to sell your secondhand clothing to. Craigslist, on the other hand, has a smaller user base, and your listing may not be seen by as many potential buyers.
- Built-in communication tools: Facebook Marketplace has built-in communication tools that allow buyers and sellers to communicate directly through the platform. This can make it easier to negotiate prices, coordinate pickups or shipping, and ask and answer questions about the item.
- Increased safety and security: Facebook Marketplace requires all users to have a Facebook account, which can provide an additional layer of security and help to prevent scams and fraudulent activity. Additionally, Facebook Marketplace has a reporting system that allows users to report any suspicious activity or behavior.
- Convenience: Facebook Marketplace is integrated into the Facebook app (on App Store or Google Play), which means that you can access it easily from your mobile device or desktop computer. This can make it more convenient to list items for sale, respond to inquiries, and coordinate pickups or shipping.